Sunday, March 7, 2010

Letter written to W.A. Standifer from Lemuel J. Standifer Apr 1864

From: Lemuel J. Standifer To: W. A. Standefer
Centre, Ala. (Cherokee Co., AL) 16th April 1864
To W. A. Standefer, Sgt. Maj. ? Battery & ? Ala.
Dear Sir,

Your letter of August arrived in Oct. during my absence to Richmond, Tenn. I did not know where to write or my fathers name was William H. Standifer. My grandfather was Israel, my great grandfathers name was Israel. He came from Ireland and married an English woman. He raised six sons: James, Luke, William, Israel, John and Jesse. James was killed in the war at the battle in which Tekumpsee was killed. (not married). Luke died near Con. Port in Mississippi. William at Jasper Tenn. Israel, my grandfather, in Limestone, Ala. John went to Kentucky in the first settling and Jesse died at 26 years (not married).

My grandfather raised eight sons by his first wife: Jessee, Samuel, Skilton, Abraham, Isaac, Israel, James and William. They are all dead. Jessee raised his family in Madison Co., Ala. Israel and James and my father, raised theirs in Marion & Bledsoe County, TN until 1832 Israel and my father came to Ala. this county (near ? Chattooga Co., Geo. ), My father died here. Israel his sons James, Abraham and Skilton went to Texas in 1846. Also my brother Israel B. and my fathers cousins, James, Isaac and Samuel in their families went to Texas with their families in 1839. James had seven sons with him.

The history is so long that it would ware your patience to give a complete genealogy. Archibald Standifer of Jasper Co., Geo. was cousin to my father.

In all my traveling I have never found but one of the name that was not related until the first of this instant in coming from Selma, made the acquaintance of William Standifer of Butler Co., Ala. son of Israel of Shelby county, AL. I would be truly glad for you to come and see me that we could talk together and get acquainted. I want you to write to me.

Respectfully yours,

Lemuel J. Standefer

No comments: