Sunday, March 7, 2010

1888 letter written by Elvira Martin to Ephraim Purvis

Eureka, Kansas
March 25, 1888
Dear Brother

Yours of the llth Inst came duly to hand & I will now try to reply although I am having an attack of neuralgia such a pain over my left eye I can scarcely see to write.
It has been raining the last two or three days but is turning cold this afternoon the wind has changed to the north, this country is so changeable a person can hardly live. Just as we get fixed for warm weather it turns cold again, I intended to commence cleaning house tomorrow but will have to wait for another nice spell, It is rather early for that any way but I thought I would clean early this Spring as my old carpet is breaking considerable. We have been making a new one got it home last week, I had a letter from Enoch last week & one from Wesley also he seemed to be in good spirits but Enoch was have Neuralgia & seemed to be very much disheartened, Mary is well satisfied there, says they are well fixed to live, Wesley wants to come west & get him some land but says he wants to come & see first--thinks he will try Oklahoma if it comes in this year if not-he will go to Arkansas, I would rather not go any farther west unless I go over the mountains. I want to go to W.T. as Frank is there & says he never will come back here.
I was sorry to hear of Lawrence's great affliction. I know he has suffered beyond discription but I hope the worst is over with him now.
You have your children so near you. When Liza visits you again you can get them all together & have a group & send me one, I hope the Oklahoma country will open up this year so we can all get down there together & have homes near enough together that we can visit & enjoy ourselves. Of course you do not remember our children. We only had three when we left Ills (Illinois) Herbie is the first born in Kansas. He is twelve years old, then Vannie. Charlotte named him for her venerable husband Van-Rensler, then Robbie - a friend here named him for a brother of hers Robert, Roy, then the Baby we called for his two Grand Pa's Charles Purvis, he is one year & a half old & the worst-spoiled one of the whole outfit. He just grabed my paper & took a piece out of the corner, you see.
We have not heard from Toad for a year, I wrote her a long letter last summer but never got any answer & sent her a picture this spring but she never acknowledged the rest of it, but I suppose they got it, if we about all move this fall I will visit you an if I can't I will let you know & you can come to see me I know. I must get dinner now. with much love to you & Louisa & the children also I remain your loving sister
Elvira Martin

P.S. At says he would write some but he is a very poor hand to write letters never writes to his only brother not to Frank so you can excuse him. I have all the letter writing to do.
E.M

No comments: