Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1909 letter written to Eugene Hamilton Storer from brother Sidney Storer

144 LeffertsPlace
Brooklyn New York
Dec 21, 1909

Dear Gene,
I am very late in getting off to you this Christmas letter, huh though it may be late in arriving its expressions of good will are just as warm as thought they were on time. The enclosed check I send for you to use as you best see fit for your own comfort, enjoyment or happiness. I am very sorry indeed that you cannot be with us on this good day. We shall all miss you very much indeed. But be of good cheer in the consciousness of our love for you and hearty interest in your welfare.
I was unexpectedly kept over town on business so that I can not now answer your last letter as I had planned to. But I will soon. It is so late now that I wish to bed.
Though far from us and beset with many difficulties we all hope that, in spite of all, your Christmas will be a good Merry one and the New year a happy and prosperous one in the realization of your fondest desires. We all have our trials, great and small, and our defeated a postponed hopes:-Some suffer in this way more than others. But as Roscoe says-"That's living." And all will yet be right. As the poet says,- "Hope springs eternal in the human breast."-Heres hoping! I find it the most effective antitdote to discouragement, and a positive source of strength and security of mind.
And so Good Luck, in the my warmest and heartiest good wishes for a real Merry Christmas and Many, Many, Happy New Years, from
Your loving brother,
Sidney

No comments: