Sunday, March 7, 2010

1937 letter from R. E. Standefer M. D. to Dr. J. G. Standifer,

R. E. Standefer, M. D.
Dunlap, Tennessee

May 21st, 1937

Dr. J. G. Standifer,
Blakely, Ga.

Dear Doctor:

Beg your pardon for not answering your letter sooner under date of May 7th.

I will give you some of my family history.

I have four sisters and two brothers living, James Alex - Rome, Ga., Otis Allen - Chatta. Tenn. My father James Epenetus had brothers by the name of Luke (died a few years ago at the age of 92) Polk, Carrol, Lycurgius, and Rufus (a Methodist Preacher). They are all dead. My grandfather was a school teacher, his name was James M. Standefer. He had some brothers one by the name of Luke, (I believe) who was last heard of at Vicksburg, Miss. He was a surveyor or engineer. One of grandfathers brothers went to Ga. or Ala. one, and one went to Mo. Two remained in this part of Tenn. His name was William I Standefer, the first Clerk and Master of Hamilton County, Tenn. (Chattanooga, Tennessee.) My great grandfather was a member of Congress with James K. Polk, Andrew Jackson etals. I have one of his Campaign speeches he made in 1830. My grandfather came from Va. to East Tennessee. Some of the heirs of my fathers brothers spell their name Standifer.

I wish you would write me again and tell me from what state your great grandfather came. I think it possible we might be related as, one of my grand-fathers brothers went to Ga. or Ala.

Jackson --- the religious insane, "fired" me after he broke his fast and was on his way to recovery.

I am glad you wrote,

Very truly,

R. E. Standefer M. D.

No comments: