Saturday, April 5, 2008

one of a series of 11 letters sent to Eugene Hamilton Storer

This is from my personal letter collection. I have 11 letters from 1909 to 1911 that were sent to Eugene Hamilton Storer. I also have photographs that I hope to scan soon. The other letters will be up soon. Thanks!!!!!!



Postmarked Boston Jan 14 11-30 A 1909 Mass-West Roxbury station
Addressed to Mr. Eugene H. Storer-Spokane Washington Box 2432
Return address:250 Park St. W. Roxbury Mass.

Dear Gene,
It has been a long time since I wrote you, but the time has been so filled with care and work that I have really seen no moment when I feel equal to writing. If I have time your father sits here at the table playing solitaire till I sometimes think my brain will soften also, listening to the eternal flip flap of the cards. For a wonder he has left off playing early tonight 10 p.m. but he will not go to bed, so he is sitting in the big rocker out in the kitchen with his feet up on the cabinet taking it easy. Rob is out to Roscoes but will be here soon if he does not fall down on the icy streets. We have had a most remarkable winter. For a week or more the ther. did not go below 54’. We have had no snow, some mud, some dust, just now we are having ice. A little cold wave struck us right before last and a heavy mist which froze as it fell, then last evening we had a little flirt of snow, which remains. Roscoe went on to New York on business Tuesday morning, dined at the Harvard club where Sid joined him at the close of dinner and an invitation joined the theatre party, and at midnight sped the parting guest (Roscoe) on his homeward way. Roscoe went back to New York on the 10 a.m. this morning-dinner at a big hotel tonight then home again on the midnight. This is not to be spoken of to anyone. We had a happy evening on Christmas day and we drank in cider, from raised and clashing glasses-“To his absence. God bless him.” Oh how we did miss you Gene. In the afternoon, we all went out to Roscoe’s where we were joined by Francis, and here in front of a bright fire four of my –Boys- sang the dear old hymns that you have all sung on so many occasions-‘Onward Christian Soldiers’, ‘Oh Paradise war’, and ‘The son of God goes forth to war’ and _____ can’t tell how many ______ I enjoyed it-Oh but how I did miss your voice. I can’t tell you how sorry I am that business is so discouraging for you, and earnestly hope that it is improving by this time. How is your health Gene, and do you have all you need to eat? You must anyway and if you need more money, you must tell us. What is money compared with your comfort or health. ______ said he would send you an X-mas gift. I must send him a line tonight if I can get it written. We enjoyed your apples very much. They were simply great. Rob says they are in the market here. Three for a quarter and he sees them eaten in hotels and restaurants with thin slices of cream cheese put on the apple. What do you think of these earthquakes everywhere-I am glad to be in Boston. I was much interested in what you wrote of the doings at Winston-Salem. Have you received your Christmas gift from Mrs. Morse or has she written? We have what is known as tick fever and is caused by the bite of a tick that troubles cattle or sheep. It is bad and usually causes death. Write as soon as you get this. I have not been so well as usual since Christmas. Have had three of those attacks of neuralgia of the stomach, one of them was pretty bad. I am better now. God bless you and keep you my dear, dear son. Faithfully-Mother

No comments: