Sunday, April 20, 2008

lETTERS AND POSTCARDS FROM GEO. SCOBELL

Letter dated 22nd February 1909 from Colorado Springs, CO.
Dear Wife Margaret & Children:
I received your long letter dated 17 Saturday. I was just sitting up in bed preparing to eat my supper when your letter was brought in. I went to dinner Sat and had 100 (temperature). Sunday also to dinner and had 99.2. I send you a bill of fare. I had my 4th helper sick Sat. It is one month today since I arrived at the Sanitarium. I have not heard a word that would intimate I was not to stay on, but rather the opposite, so rest content Dear Ones. Money. If Geo. (his son, George Edward Scobell, Jr.) does not get more land to work, you will not need so many horses. I was just thinking. Although I said not to sell Baldy, we could not very well afford to refuse $400 for the team--if they look good enough to anyone for that sum. I will finish after dinner if able.
I'm able. We are having a snowstorn. It began last evening and still continues. Well Dear, send some more of those letters of large size. I can write the little ones. I must get to bed now, so with the expectation of getting your sad letter tomorrow, might I close with the hope this will find you feeling all right again. By the way, I am feeling good.
Geo. E. Scobell
Postcard dated 2nd April, 1909 from Rocky Ford, CO.
Dear Wife:
I send you a PC because I have no paper. I just want to let you know that I am nicely located. In ten minutes after I started out to find a home I was all fixed. I get board at a boarding house; $4.50 per week--have a room a block away for $1.00 per week; furnish my own coal. Am feeling fine, no distress in breathing, good appetite. I want to get me a "Chasing Chair" and blanket and begin to "Chase the Cure" in earnest.
Geo. E. Scobell
Letter dated 6th September 1909 from Pueblo, CO.
Dear Wife and Family:
This morning I seat myself to write you what news there is to tell about myself. In the first place, I have a cold and a sore chest. It is cold and wet. It has rained two days and noights and is still damp and cloudy. Well the landlady told me Saturday that some of the roomers complained of being disturbed by my coughing nights and would have to move if I stayed.
At this point in my writing, the landlady came and invited me to the front window to watch the Labor Day parade. When it was over I was too tired to write so layed down til dinner. To resume, I told the lady I would look for a room, but would not dare to go out in the rain. She said no indeed, I should not. Well it has rained ever since till this forenoon when it began to clear. I asked if the parties had made any more complaint. She said no, just asked if I was here yet. She said, "I said yes and he is not going out in the rain to look for a room." "Oh no, of course not," was their reply. I asked if she would rent me the room for another week. Said she did not know about that--the party is here yet. Just rest content as it is and see. I got George's letter and draft yesterday and your last letter the day bofore while the Old Dr. was visiting me. I did not read it until he was gone, and so missed the chance to ask about your trouble in the chest, but will find out before I write again. In the meantime, from this on you have to just not give yourself a chance to take cold. No running out in the cold wind with nothing to protect your chest and throat do you hear. I am afraid your lungs are affected. Do you raise anything from your lungs? If not you may not be (sentence not finished).
You asked me what the Dr. said about me going home. He said as soon as you get over coughing and get fleshed up. By then there would be a cold winter there and I would need to be careful. He examined me the week I was at the Amhurst. Said I was in better shape than he expected to find me. My left lung was in the 2nd stage and the right in the first. Could not see why I should not get well. Now I have heard so many different findings that I do not credit anyone implicitly. I think the Vivifiers are good and I believe will cure me if I don't meet with some other misfortune. If I have to leave this room, I have a mind to go to the Springs. I won't have so hard a time to keep a room. I am tired, so tired, so with love to all I will close. If Mother (Mary Elizabeth Toole) and Alice are there, say hello for me.
Geo. E. Scobell
Letter dated 28th August 1909 from Pueblo, CO (I believe this was misdated by George due to illness and should have been dated 28th September 1909. For that reason I am placing it at the last. He died 4th October 1909.)
Dear Wife:
Come to me without delay on my account. Get all the money you can. I am perfectly helpless. You must come and hurry.
Geo. E. Scobell
(P.S.) I'm 10 miles East of Pueblo

No comments: