Saturday, April 5, 2008

Confederate letter from George Smith Montgomery

Confederate Letter from George Smith Montgomery Springs, Va. April 18th 1863 to his brothers Thomas Co K Va. Reg. and Burnell (And Daniel id he is there) With Partial envelope and two Confederate Stamps. Also included is a letter 3/5/ 65 to Thomas Smith regarding selling and trading some land. Letter reads in part as follows "Montgomery Springs Virginia April the 16trh 1863. Dear Brothers having the opportunity of sending you a few lines by Mr. I thought I would pester you with a few lines to let you know I am well and in good health. and and as as the soldier life. Will admit of i have nothing of any importance to write you I merely thought I would write this to let you know how I was getting along. Joseph is mending I think as fast as could be expected. His Pap is here now He got here yesterday morning he is not well though ....( he talks how the old man is sick himself and is going to try and get his son home but they wont let his go until the weather gets better) Daniel is onthis way to his company but I haven heard a thing from my company since they went to the salt works..... " on with more family news. An Enclosure dated March 5th 1865 in included with this letter though only remotely related to it. It is addressed to the brother of this letter who is in the army. Wants to trade horses for some land. Three pieced all together in good condition. We have them shrink wrapped for protection. Just another Confederate soldier who is ready to come home. Original Confederate Jeff Davis postage stamp adds a nice touch.

No comments: