Thursday, April 17, 2008

letter addressed to Emeline Curtis in Pulaski co. Indiana

This is an extremely early stampless cover letter (with some red sealing wax still attached) that was hand-delivered to the recipient (based on the content of the letter). Due to the way the double "s" was written it's pre-1860s. The letter is addressed to a Mrs. Emeline Curtis in Pulaski (can't read next word) Co. Ind. It is one-page in length and her sister has written a short letter on the inside of the folded letter. The handwriting is precise and very tiny. I LOVE the way the writer dated it:
The 1st Sunday in July 12 o'clock.
Dear Sweet E: I could not in conscience let so good an opportunity of conveyance pass without a few lines of kind remembrance though they will necessarily be brief for want of time. Caroline is with us and has two children which you will see is a month earlier in the season than we had expected her - the reasons of her coming was I think she will write when she returns - now she has gone to her Uncle Isaac Laphams for two or three hours and we have the care of the babies the whilst. Oscar is of great assistance to me in my scribbling for he not only wants my knife but is about determined in taking my pen and acting as scribe - he is a pretty child with a good share of his mother's spunk. Our name sake, Emeline E. although not considered as good looking as her brother is one of the best natured little things living in these days. I so wish it were possible for you to be with us before Caroline leaves which I suppose will be about three weeks from the present time yet I hardly dare hope but will you not come without the expectation of meeting her. We should all be so glad to see you and you know our name is legion. Do return with the bearer of this if possible for I am quite certain that Alanson can not leave his business long enough for you to make up for six years absence. Here Lemuel and Amanda come - I suppose they are bound for Caleb's whose wife is very ill. I fear we shall have to part with her before many days have passed, however hard the conviction. I have thought of her as a sister. Caleb is in great distress and for my own part I cannot see what he will do with himself and their babe. You plead the promises? It is well. They all add their petitions to mine relative to your visiting us. With love to all. I bid you an affectionate adieu. E.D.L.
Here is Caroline's letter inside:
My Dearest Sister: I ought to add a few lines in E's letter yet I hardly know how to spend the time just now. If it is at all consistent return with Spencer. I can not consent to go back without seeing you here. Should you conclude to come on immediately, I will prolong my stay until the first of September. Don't wait to fix yourself I will lend a willing hand in putting you in proper trim. Amanda hurries me, I must bid you adieu. Your's affectionately Caroline.

No comments: