Thursday, April 17, 2008

1841 letter from EM Ringo to Major JH Bills

Fayetteville Ten May 4th 1841

Maj. JH Bills
Dear Sir
Your letter under date Apr 5th
Came to hand in good time, Requesting to know of me whether I had entered upon the duties of guardian of Elizabeth & William, or not, if I had for to send to you a coppy of my hand which you will find enclosed in this, the only appoligy I have for not writing to you sooner, the clerk was slow making out a coppy & I got it today, & I would like to know of you my This first letter you wright me, if this land and Certifficate is Sufficant, if not I am willing to furnish you with all the nefsary papers, but the clerk told me that this is alltogeather Sufficient, I also when you wright please to Send me a coppy of the certification of all the property valued I want you if you please to give me Notice in time when the final Sale will take place, as I expect to be at it or at least wish to be or will send Capt. Todd for I think it will be my duty be there, Those negros which belong to Elizabeth and William I wish if the arrangement can be made an it will Suite all around for to move them up hear in the first of December next if it is put of later the weather will be verry un pleasant & disagreeable & of cours they will Suffer much, Please to advise me how I had better move them wheather a carryall a two horse wagon or a five horse wagon would be the best & most expedient way, I started William to School in a five days after he came here Elizabeth will start next Monday She is taking music lessons and I expect to buy her a piano Shortly, Elizabeth tells me that her Father Sent for a fine peace of music, if you know anything of it please to inform us of it, Elizabeth & William is in good health and William is quite mischeavious Give my respect to Levi Todd when you see him and tell him we are all well heare
Yours With Respect
EM Ringo

No comments: