Thursday, April 17, 2008

Moses Jewitt letter to brother David Jewitt

One page letter dated Burlington, September 4, 1802 from Moses Jewett to his brother David Jewett in Jaffrey, NH. Moses was a saddler and would travel the country side and up even to Canada to conduct his business. He pens this to his brother as he is about to set about on a journey.
On the same side of as the address, David pens "1802 Sept " Mr. Locke Brought this to me"Also in another address portion is written: "Prostrate my contrite soulMy God my brother my friendDo not forsake me in my end."
In the early years of our new country, there was quite a flourishing trade with Canada. A few years after this letter was written, Thomas Jefferson's Embargo Act would change many things and give name to "Smuggler's Notch" along with other locales people such as Moses would covertly bring goods into the country through.
Transcribed in full:Dear Brother,Owing to the roads gitting (sic) very bad in this country in Oct. I am obliged to send a few days before I had calculated. You will have the goodness to assist Mr. Locke in gitting his load together & furnishing him with provisions to carry him on his journey. I have so much business on hand at this time that I not write on the Road & better wish you to attend to the business -I send you ninety dollars to be paid over to them in proportion as they furnish Leather you will get their bills & add the Credit -What leather they do not furnish I shall send to Roxbury for - I had a -?- from Boston last week & flour is so low that I shall not bring any at this timeYou will assist Mr. Locke all in your Power that he may not be detained any longer than possibly can be helped -Inform Mr. Read & Cutter that money is very scarce in this country & that I shall make them pay as punctual as possible.I want the very best of leathershall wish them to be as moderate in their services as possible as Mr. Locke is a man who takes a decided part in my Interest you will consult him on the quality of the Stock, I am yours dear brother, Moses Jewett
==================Not until 1791, after many delays and misunderstandings and, most important, after the dispute with New York was finally adjusted (1790) by payment of $30,000, did Vermont enter the Union.

No comments: