Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stanley L. Smith AKA Cuilly Burdett-Famous designer

I came into possession of many, many letters given to me courtesy of a sweet woman named Mrs. Turner. Not sure if she would like me to use her first name or not. Anyhow she found them in a storage locker and passed them onto me. In these letters I was able to learn that Stanley L. Smith was born to Louis Smith who served in both the army and the navy. Stanley's mother's maiden name was Caralu Burdick and she had been first married to Louis Smith and then remarried Don Woodyard. I also learned that Stanley himself was sent to military school at a young age. Many many interesting facts were given through these letters about the war times during the World War II setting. The letters were sent to Stanley between the years 1940 and 1958.
Before his army days, Louis lived in Stillwater, Payne county, Oklahoma and worked as a salesman for the Payne County Motor Company. When the war began sales began to drop and Louis seeing all his comrades go off to war commented to his son that he could no longer ignore his own duty while all his friends were being sent to war.
Louis Smith trained at Camp Wolters in Texas while in the army and sent letters to Louis during his entire stay there. He was then sent to Camp Benning Georgia where he and Stanley were only hours apart, with Stanley serving as a cadet in the Georgia Military Academy. Soon Louis was attending Officers school in Fort Ord. California. He sends a letter on Oct 1 1945 and addresses himself as Captain Louis S. Smith 0-1310918. He sends a letter from Sapporo Japan on Sunday 25, Nov. 1945 saying "I am again in police work as I am connected with the Military Police of the 77th. Division. I am ass't Provost Marshal and will be until the first of Decemeber when I take over as Marshal as the Major is leaving for the States so I guess I'll have my hands full as we are responsible for the entire island of Hokkaido, Japan's northern most island."
Louis serves his country and then goes back to Stillwater and remarries "Mary." Louis continues school in the Military Academy and then goes to College where he bounces around schools a bit until he decides on a designing career. He ends up changing his name to Cuilly Burdett and becomes a famous interior designer. He owned his own designing business in La Jolla California. His official title was Cuilly Burdett ASID. There are many more facts and interesting things I will continue to post on this family but these were just a few tidbits to get started.

No comments: