Sunday, April 15, 2012

Letters written to Stanley L. Smith

Monday night
December 15 1941
Dear Stanley,
Walker and III were more than pleased to get your letter, and I feel that I should devote the next two pages to apologizing for having waited so long to answer, but I won’t. I’ll just say never again will I wait so long to answer a letter from you, provided of course that you write us again. Your letter and my stationary have been laying on top of my desk for over a month and everyday I’d think that I’d get a chance to write to you but wouldn’t, but would think “well tomorrow I certainly will.” I was delighted to hear that you like your school so well. Sharon is fine and she still talks about Oklahoma, and the people (you among others) that she saw there. She talks from morning until night. She knows and sings a dozen and a halg songs and knows scores of nursery rhymes. She has been calling everyone and everything “dear”now for days, and just when I thought I couldn’t stand it another day, today being that day, tonight she called me “honey” for the first time and she called me that three times in one minute. If there is anything I think is worse than honey I have forgotten what it is.
Walker was all worn out, so last Friday morning he caught a plane out of here for Texas. He had been invited to the ranch of friends of ours to go deer hunting so he has gone. He will get back just a couple days before Christmas . And speaking of Christmas I don’t know when your Christmas vacation starts, but I figure surely not before this letter reaches you. At any rate I hope not. I know that you will be glad to get away though. When you get back write me again, and tell me more about your school, what kind of grades you are making etc. etc. You say you like the school and I say good. I am sure the school likes you but tell me about it anyways. Have a Merry Christmas Stanley I know you will. And give my love to Caralu.
Love Donna
Stillwater Oklahoma
Sunday June 4th
Dear Stanley,
I suppose you are glad school is out? I know I am. We had our graduation excercises on Friday May 19th-We went back on /Saturday morning for our report cards. I am now ready for the 10th. Are you coming back to Stillwater for a visit this summer? If you do I wish you would stop by to see me. I am anxious to see you. I went to Sunday school this morning and came home to fix dinner. We had rabbit, creamed peas, new potatoes, iced tea and desert. Did you receive the other letters I have written to you? I meant everything I have ever said honest Stanley, I love you. I am going to the show this afternoon. I am going to see “Baton”. Do you ever see any good shows. We see a good one every once in awhile. Why haven’t you written to me? Are you working that keeps you too busy to write? Please write to me and send me a picture of yourself. I have received both the folders from you and I appreciate them very much. I have nearly 175 cards, I would enjoy very much if you would send me some more folders and write me a card once in awhile. Monday I canned 15 pints of peas, Tuesday I canned 35 pints, and Wednesday I done the washing, and Thursday I done the ironing. Friday I canned 9 more pints of peas. Also Thursday evening I put out 151 tomato plants besides the five rows we already have out. I have to get this in the mail now, so lots of love. Your friend always,
Frankie Osborn
Box 263 Stillwater, Oklahoma
Phone 2092
Aug 21 1941
Dear Stanley,
Muz tells me that you are going to get to go to G.M.A. this year. I’m certainly tickled to hear as I know you will get a big kick out of it and will learn a lot. You are pretty young to be going away to school all the way to Atlanta Georgia but not too young. You might as well learn now how to take care of yourself and be independent, And this is a good opportunity to do so. When I went away to Missouri Military academy at the age of 11, I was so excited that I could hardly eat, that lasted until I was loaded on the train and was on my way. The I began to feel a little blue and began to miss my friend and family. When I got up there and moved into a room with a boy I had never seen before from another state, I was homesick little boy and wanted to come home. And I think I probably would if it were not for two things. First, I did not want anyone to think I would ever give up on anything I had started; and secondly, I knew that Muz had spent a lot of money to send me up there and I could not afford to waste it. So I decided that if the rest of the boys could stand it, so could I. And within a month I had made a lot of new friends and enjoyed it up there. I can look back on it now and laugh but it was not so funny at the time. I imagine that the same thing will apply to you. Heres a little advice; If you will follow it, it will save you some stiff jolts and a few hours in the bull ring;1. learn the rules as quickly as possible and obey them without question. If you slip up do not make any excuse. Just take the punishment, forget it, and don’t do it again. Military discipline demands that you obey without question, and when so many boys are together, they must have discipline to get anything done. 2. Play hard during the play period. And study hard during the study period. Pick out some sport and get real good at it. 3. Remember that you are going to have to live with boys there; therefore you want them to like you. The best way to be popular is not to try hard to be popular, but to do your share of the work so they won’t think you are a “gold brick;” enter into their games and be a good sport; not talk about nor brag about your home and friends and be friendly. Be unselfish about your toothpaste, shoe past, and boxes from home, but do not let them take advantage of your generosity. What I mean by not trying to hard to be popular is that it is not worth to do something that your conscience “or what your training has taught you to do” tells you should not do. I think that is enough talking from your old baldheaded uncle. And I don’t think it is even necessary to tell you those things because I know you are smart enough to be a big success if you will just try. Save this letter and read it during your first week at school and then write me a letter and tell me how you are getting along. And have a good time!
Love Ben
Lt. Ben Burdick
49th F.A.
Fort Ord. California
Postcard addressed to:
Cadet Stanly Smith
Georgia Military Academy
College Park
Georgia
n.w. Washington
postmarked Stillwater Oklahoma 6 Oct 1941
Dear Stanley,
I hope you are getting along fine and studying hard. Your daddy told me the other day your address so I thought I would drop you a line. I always helps to hear just a little from home. Owen is still catching pigeons, and now interested in the chicken business. Have you got another pair of socks yet? We think of you real often and hope you think of us. Lots of love Mary Sue
Oct 6 1941
Stanley,
I heard you tried to make me mad by going by giving Ethelynn your picture and having her give hers to you. It won’t work. Have you found a new girl yet? I hope the work isn’t too hard for you. My aunt from the city came today. My teacher is Miss Smith. The same one you had. She is very nice to us. I sit in back of Harry Percy and in front of Kermit Ingham. I sit by the windows. Kermit started his paper again this winter. My family is alright. Sally was sick today. In school we used to sit like this-(followed by a drawing of desks and names). I think she is going to move Ann. I must get to studying on my health and History. We are going to have a test tomorrow. Olga Lee Swim







Monday morning Jan 11 1943
Dear Caralou and Stanley,
Thank you so much for Sharon’s adorable panties. They fit perfectly and are as cute as can be. I know that for very long Sabra is going to have to have fun with her waterfall. Sharon had one but had forgotten about it so she had to give Sabra’s a few shakes. I am sorry to have been so long in writing, but I was sick off and on mostly on for about a month. A few two or three days that I have felt like a human being as I said in a month’s time. I literally couldn’t sit at a desk and hold a pen. Stanley I hope by now you have fully recovered from your cold, and of course you are back in school. You ask about the babys name, it is Sabra Lynn. I don’t have a picture but hope to have in the not so distant future and I’ll send you one. Not having a picture is just symptomatic of what life has been like around all fall and winter. Mostly due to lack of help. I just can’t be well and feel like anything and do everything for days after the flu hit. My cook who had been taking care of the children for me, went out one night and it was one week to the day before she came home. We decided to call quits. I knew she didn’t really want to leave but I wouldn’t ask her to stay so--. She fooled around for about four days before about getting packed up and moved out, but finally Christmas we got the last bag out. On Wednesday after Christmas she came to see Sharon’s things and hinted around that she would come back and I jumped at the chance. In the mean time I things are going fairly well for a few minutes at any rate. The east is really out of fuel oil and people are just freezing. One of the big hotels ran out yesterday, and you can imagine what that’s like. One of our friends is going to have to take her children and leave town, while her husband will go to a hotel. They had 50 gallons of oil to last them about 5 weeks. We used to burn 50 gallons in one day and a half. We are fortunate to have a coal furnace and enough coal to last all winter. We had a beautiful big snow
Stillwater
Jun 6th 1943
Dear Stanley,
I know that it was just last night that I met you. But you seemed to have been getting along pretty well with Patty Ann.
Ruth Mullenar said this morning that she didn’t think that you would like her as much as usual. I don’t know why she said that though. I hope you will excuse my writing. You see I can’t write on paper without line as well as paper with. Well Harry is back in town. He has been in Clinton for the past week. Boy was I glad when he came home. Stanley, I’m a heck of a mess. I don’t know whether to like Kermit or Harry. Which do you think I would like most? Harry and I have an awful lot in common. We both like to swim a lot and play tennis, dance and golf. As for Kermit, we don’t have much in common. Well I know how boring my letters are so I will stop. If you should want to answer his letter, here is my return address:

Patty Timbken
1021 w. 9th street
Stillwater Ok
Love Pat

No comments: