Monday, July 18, 2011

1880 letter to grandmother from Daniel Sharp

I'd like to contribute a letter written by me grandfather, Daniel Demorest Sharp. Judging from the handwriting and the boyish enthusiasm, I'm guessing he was about ten years old when he wrote this. The family lived in a sod shanty near Olivet for a time while Daniel was a boy. He was born at Barrington Center, Ill., May 28, 1870, and moved with his father, Thomas Stokes Sharp, and step-mother, Belle E. Dailey to Hutchinson county, Dakota Territory, in 1877, where he lived the usual Pioneer life marked by oxen, sod houses, droughts,and the great blizzard of 1888. He mentions several realtives in here, and I can identify them for you if you like. Following is the text from a letter written by young Daniel to his grandmother about 1880:

Olivet, Dakota

Hutchison Co

Nov 4th

My dear Grandma,

Perhaps you have forgotten there is such a boy as Daniel Demorest Sharp, but its a fact and I am that boy and you are my Grand-Ma. I thought I would write and mention it before it was too late for if I neglect much longer that boy will be something else. Well Grandma how do you do any way it seems so long since I saw you or heard of you that I hardly know what to write about. I hope you are enjoying good health and feel happy. I should like to see you and talk with you but of course that is impossible. I am not sure this letter will find you but I hope it will. Since you were here we have had pretty good health and some sickness. I have had most of the health and papa and mamma the best share of the rest. I believe papa must be getting old he has had so much rheumatism. Now he dont have it all. I have some myself sometimes. Last spring Olivet and I took a start at growing. My trousers are getting to short and Olivet is spreading around considerable. Mr. White built a new store, there is a fine Milwaukee Courthouse, two new hotels. Norrie Baldwin has built a church and the Cambellites are going to, and the Devil has got as many as both put together and as any body can have Dutch beer or Kentuckey whiskey as they like. There are a good many houses built, too. I could tell you plenty of news, but it would be of folks you dont know. I dont hear much from Uncle Fraileigh, Grandpa Sharp wrote us some about Barrington people last spring, and Uncle Dan has forgot me I guess. I suppose he has plenty of boys and girls of his own to think. I intend writing to him too as soon as I can if you are at Aunt Katy's please give my love to her and Uncle Asbury and to my cousins Charley and George. I suppose Charley is about man grown by now. Maybe I shall be able to go and see you all some day. I should like to very much. We are just getting into the beginning of winter though we have only had light frosts so far. I am going to trap for furs this winter when it freezes up. I made some money at it last year and can do better this. But I shall also attend school, we have a fine house and a good attendance. This is the pleasantest fall I have seen in Dakota very little frost yet. We dont expect a hard winter. Times pretty hard, a great many people wont be able to meet their debts, wheat only 50 cts. Come and see the roan heiffer, she is as big as the old cow. But I also want you to come and see me too, and stay and visit when you are here. I shall be mad if Mitchell gets you and hides you away next time. We have 15 head of cattle and horses now it takes about 55 acres of hay to winter our stock. We expect seven calves next spring. Papa says I may also say "and a lot of chickens that are not hatched." He says he can manage to keep poor by hard work. Claims are worth from $800 to $2000 round here now. I think ours worth $1600 and in two years it will be worth $2500. Papa has not run in debt or mortgaged yet and I hope he never will.

Bet you Im tired Grandma. I am not used to writing. You must not get provoked at my bad writing. You know I love you. I always did and always shall. I send my best love to you. Papa and mamma join me. Please write to me when you can.

I remain your Loving Grandson,

Daniel Sharp

No comments: